Lentils are an excellent source of protein and contain several important vitamins and minerals. You can buy them dried to cook for yourself or you can find them canned at your local grocery store. Either way, this makes for a great high protein and low carb dish the entire family will enjoy.
- 2 ripe tomatoes or a can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 can lentils drained, prepare from dry if you wish. I find canned suitable and convenient when pressed for time. Not that lentils take much time to cook other than they require some time to soak.
- 1 can tuna drained. I prefer tuna packed in water over oil packed.
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
- pepper to taste
- Finely chop the red onion
- To create the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, cumin and ground coriander in a bowl. Set aside until needed.
- Mix the chopped onion, diced tomatoes in a large bowl and then flake in the drained tuna and stir into the mixture.
- pour the dressing over the lentil and tuna salad, plate it and enjoy right away.
It is a simple and hearty recipe that serves four, the calories and macros work out to;
Calories, 227 Fat 9g, Carbs 19g and Protein 19g
4 Comments Add yours
Sounds good. I will be trying this for sure!
Let me know how you like this meal Lauea. I have many more inexpensive and healthy family favorites to add to the blog. There will soon be a recipe only page.
This is really unusual. I love lentils, I’ve got to try this. 😋
Yum, I never thought to put the two together. Another great recipe.