Cold weather and football season is quickly closing in on us and whats better than a huge bowl of hearty chili to calm the hunger beast. Personally, I do not need cold weather, nor do I need football to enjoy a bowl of chili con carne. I can just as easily enjoy it on a hot one hundred degree day in Kansas. Here is my kick ass recipe that gets even better after a day or so in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb ground beef, 93% lean
- 3 cans Chili Beans, I prefer Brooks Hot Chili Beans in mine
- 1 can refried beans, Old El Paso brand is great
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large can tomato juice
- 1 can green chilies, mild
- 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 package chili seasoning, If you can find it, get Williams brand. It’s my favorite
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a soup pot, brown your ground beef over medium heat. Break it down so there are no big chunks. While the ground beef is cooking, chop your onion, and garlic, then add to the ground beef and cook until done.
- Drain the ground beef and then add the refried beans and peanut butter and heat and stir until all is blended together.
- Next, add your beans, jalapenos, green chili’s and remaining ingredients and stir while bringing chili to a simmer.
This is a simple yet very tasty and hearty recipe. It will make 10 servings at 310 calories, 7.1g fat, 41.1g complex carbs and 19.9g of protein. The refried beans thicken it nicely, and the peanut butter smooths the flavor. I guarantee, your whole family will enjoy this meal on any given day, hot or cold. Enjoy