You can control the heat of this dish by using either hot or sweet Italian sausage. My preference is the heat, but I know that is not everyone’s cup of tea. This is a good meal with or without pasta. I will use a low carb pasta or none at all when fixing it for myself.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups Penne pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Heat the oil in a large skillet and then saute the onion, bell peppers and fennel until the vegetables have turned golden, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another couple minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Cut the sausage on the diagonal into slices 1 inch thick. Add to the vegetable mixture, and simmer covered, stirring occasionally until the flavors are blended well, about a half hour. If the sauce gets too dry, simply add a little water.
Cook the penne according to instructions. Once done, add it and the basil and parsley to the sausage and vegetable mixture. Toss well and serve!