In the spirit of fall and the coming holiday seasons, and in keeping with my mantra of high protein low carb eating, here is a delicious sugar free apple crisp recipe I discovered which will be a sure treat for you and your family. This will make an excellent dessert served warm with a dollop of fat free whipped cream after a holiday feast. And, for those picky types who refuse to eat healthy, just do not tell them this is a healthy dessert and they will never know. Send them home with a smile on their face.
- 6 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup oat flour or gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats, not quick cooking
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup erythritol or 1 tbsn powdered stevia
- 4 tbsp butter, cubed and room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350f.
2. Combine filling ingredients and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together all topping ingredients except butter.
4. Once topping ingredients are combined, cut butter into mixture untill crumbly.
5. Coat a 9×13 cooking dish with cooking spray.
6. Pour filling into cooking dish and cover with topping mixture.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until topping is golden brown.
This delicious recipe will provide 8 servings at 185 calories, 7.6g fat, 28g carbohydrates and 3.2g protein and 3.4g dietary fiber.
With the holidays rapidly approaching, lets keep our spirits high and be mindful of our food choices. Let’s all begin the new year on a positive note instead of down in the dumps because we made poor dietary descicions through the holidays.