Even if you are not known for your culinary skills, give this simple recipe a try, your family will think you had a professional chef stepping in for you.
If you have and espresso maker, by all means, use it to brew the espresso. You can use ground espresso beans in a coffee maker or prepare from instant, espresso powder, but the taste will not be quite as good. Being a coffee snob, this is just my opinion only…
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup espresso
- 3 tbsp granular sugar substitute (Splenda)
- 3 large eggs
- Boiling water (for roasting pan)
- 1/4 cup sugar free caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp heavy cream, whipped
- espresso beans (optional)
1. Heat oven to 325F.
2. Combine cream, espresso, and sugar substitute in a heavy medium saucepan, heat until small bubbles apear around the edge, about 3 minutes.
3. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in about 1/3 of the cream mixture. Whisk egg and cream mixture into cream mixture. Reduce heat to very low and cook, whisking, for 1 minute.
Tip: Custards, soufles and cheesecakes are often cooked in a water bath. That is, the pan that holds the food is placed in a larger pan of water. The water diffuses the heat and makes the food less likely to curdle or separate.
4. Pour mixture into four 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. If the mixture appears lumpy, simply strain it. Place cups in a large roasting pan. Place roasting pan in oven and carfeully pour boiling water into pan until water comes up halfway on sides of the cups. Cover entire pan loosely with foil and bake until they are set, about 35 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove flans from roasting pan and wipe dry, cover with plastic wrap, stretching the wrap tight so it does not touch the flans. Refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
6. To serve, dip bottoms of cups into very hot water for a few seconds, then run a sharp knife around the edge to loosen. Set a dessert plate over the flans and invert, shaking gently to unmold.
7. Heat caramel sauce in a microwavable bowl on high to liquify, about 10 seconds. Whip cream. Drizzle over flans, serve with whipped cream on the side along with a few espresso beans for garnish if desired.
Each serving is 285 calories, 4g carbs, 27.5g fat, 6g protein