Sweet potatoes benefit from savory toppings like bacon far more than sweet marshmallows. Cook the vegetables a day ahead and reheat in the microwave or oven. Do not cook the bacon until just before serving as it’s texture is less than ideal when it is cold.
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, 2 tbsp
1. Put turnips and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover and salt generously. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until tender. Drain vegetables if making ahead, cover and refrigerate. Thirty minutes before serving, reheat. Beat with an electric mixer or mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skilet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towels and coarsely crumble. Reserve drippings.
3. Add butter and bacon drippings to vegetables. Stir in cinnamon and pepper. Spoon into a serving dish and top with callions and bacon.
This recipe serves 8, 118 calories, 12g carbs, 6g fat, 4g protein, and 2.5g fiber