These quesadillas are guarenteed to become a family favorite once you have fixed them. Your kids will never settle for a plain old grilled cheese sandwich ever again, and you are not likely too either. Adding chicken to theseMexican-style grilled cheese sandwiches turns a favorite snack into a meal. It is easier to make quesadillas by folding one tortilla over than it is to make one with two tortillas, the half moon shape mekes them much easier to turn in your skillet.
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 scallion, greens reserved, whites finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- (4) 8 inch low carb tortillas
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1. Set oven to 200f. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet.
2. For the Salsa: Combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl, mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. For the Quesadillas: Halve chicken breasts lengthwise. Mix salt salt, chili powder and cumin in a bowl, then sprinkle over the chicken.
4. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medum heat. Add chicken and cook until opaque inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool a bit, then slice thinly.
5.Wipe out skillet and return to medium heat. Place one tortilla in the skillet. Sprinkle one half of the tortilla with 1/4 cup of the cheese, then top with 1/4th of the sliced chicken. Cook until cheese begins to melt, about one minute. Sprinkle with another 1/4 cup cheese and fold tortilla in half over the cicken and cheese. Continue to cook, turning once or twice, until crispy on both sides. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while repeating the process with the remaining tortillas, chicken and cheese.
6. Cut quesadillas into wedges. Serve with salsa and garnish with scallion greens.
This recipe serves 4 and can be fixed in less than 15 minutes.
449 calories, 11g carbs, 27g fat, 41.5g protein