This mouth watering eggplant dish is going to be a huge hit with your family and you will find it to be as healthy as it is delectable.
- 1 large eggplant, about 1 lb
- 10 1/2 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounce Parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce, recipe included
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onion until transluscent. Add th garlic and fry for 1 more minute. Stir in the diced tomatoes, parsley, oregano, bay leaves, tmato paste, Swerve and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by half. Discard the bay leaves just before use.
Now, on to the dish…
- Trim the eggplant and then slice it into 1/4 inch slices crosswise. Arrange the slices on a plate, sprinkle with salt, then set aside to drain.
- Meanwhile, drain and grate the mozzarella cheese and finely grate the Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Rinse the eggplant slices thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towells. Lightly brush a cookie sheet with olive oil and arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer. Brush the tops with olive oil.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 400f for 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn the slices over, then brush with a little more olive oil and bake for another 5 minutes or until the eggplant is cookedthrough and tender. Remove the eggplant, but do not turn off the oven.
- Spread about 1 tbsp olive oil over the bottom of a gratin dish or other oven proof serving dish. Add a layer of eggplant slices, about a quarter of the tomato sauce, and top with a quarter of the mozzarella. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Continue layering until all the ingredients are used, endin with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top, then bake for 30 minutes until bubbling. Set aside for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe serves 4 at 404 calories per serving, 13.5g carbs, 30.4g fat and 20.6g protein