Another great veggie dish for our readers to enjoy. Even the hard core carnivores are going to like these.
- 3 1/2 ounce fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms
- 10 1/2 ounce tofu
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- Cook the spinach in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly and pat dry with paper towells.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a skillet and saute the leek and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the bread crumbs, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Toss in the spinach and cook for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process for 30 seconds until almost smooth. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the bread crumbs, mixing well and then set aside until cool enough to handle. Using floured hands, form the mixture into 4 equal size burgers, then place them in the refridgerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet and cook the burgers for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Serve with or without a bun with either salad greens or fries.
Serves 4 at 260 calories, 28.3g carbs, 15.3g fat and 14.6g protein