Avocado salsa is delicious spooned onto anything spicy from the broiler or barbecue grill, especially seafood. This recipe will make great snack skewers for the Super Bowl or any other occasion. For a mouth watering sandwich, toast crusty rolls, cut in half and fill with the cooked shrimp and avocado sauce.
This recipe serves 4;
321 calories, 4g carbs, 21g fat and 31g protein
- 1 1/2 lb large shrimp, shelled
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro, plus extra to garnish
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
- Combine the shrimp with the cumin, chili powder, paprika, orange juice and rind, olive oil, and half the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Thread the shrimp onto metal skewers or bamboo skewers soaked in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Cut the avocados in half around the pit. Twist apart, then remove the pit with a knife. Carefully peel off the skin, then dice the flesh. Immediately combine the avocados with the remaining cilantro, onion, chili, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the shrimp on a hot barbecue and cook for only a couple minutes on each side.
- Serve the shrimp, garnished with cilantro and accompanied by the avocado sauce.