Cajun Red Beans and Rice so good you’ll want to “Slap yo mama”. Besides being mouth watering good, this dish is as healthy as it is tasty. Being high in fber and protein, it will keep you satiated for a good amount of time.
This recipe serves 6
42.6 carbs, 8.1g fat and 18.6g protein
- 1 cup dried small red beans
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 (8.8 oune) pouches, cooked whole grain brown rice
- 1 (12 ounce) package fully cooked andouille style chicken sausage links, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- sliced green onions
- Rinse beans. In a large pot, combine beans and 4 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 60 minutes. Drain and rinse beans.
- In a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine beans, broth, onion, celery, bell pepper, bay leaf, garlic, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- If using low heat, turn to high. Stir in rice, sausage, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 1 hour more. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Top with green onions before serving.
2 Comments Add yours
You’re making me miss NOLA! Love beans and rice.
I always wanted to get orders to NOLA when I was in the Navy. It never came to pass for me…