These sugar free orange rice cakes will be great to serve up at your Super Bowl party, or any other occasion. These are even good to put into a lunch box to enjoy at school or work. They also are quite delectable on a Sunday morning with a cup of fresh brewed coffee.
This recipe makes 16 servings;
69 calories, or 2 points for our Weight Watchers readers
6.2g carb, 2.4g fat and 3g protein
- 3 cups skim milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds removed, and reserved
- scan 1 cup risotto rice
- 1/2 cup Swerve granulated (Erythital, sugar alcohol)
- 2 tbsp butter
- grated rind of 2 oranges
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Swerve confectioners, for dusting
- 1 orange, chopped to decorate
- Bring the milk to a boil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the salt and vanilla bean and seeds, and sprinkle in the rice. Return to a boil, stirring once or twice. Reduce the heat and simer, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.
- Add the Swerve granulated and butter and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thick and creamy. Pour into a bowl and stir in the orange rind. Remove the vanilla bean. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Beat the egg yolks with the orange extract and orange juice, then beat into the cooled rice mixture.
- Beat the egg whites untl they hold their peaks almost stiff, but not too dry. Stir a spoonfull into the rice mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Spoon the mixture into 1/4 cup muffin pan cups, lined with paper liners, filling to the brim. Bake in a pre-heated oven, 375f for about 20 minutes until golden and cooked through. Place on a wire rack to cool for 2 minutes, then remove the liners. Set aside to cool completely.
- Decorate with chopped orange and dust with Swerve confectioners sweetner just before serving.