Ground bison is an excellent meat that is healthier than beef in that it is leaner and lower in calories, and is higher in protein. Accordin to the USDA, a 4 ounce bison burger has 152 calories and 7 grams of fat whil a 90% lean beef burger of the same size has 184 calories and 10 grams of fat. You will find that bison tastes a lot like beef, except it has a little sweeter taste.
This recipe serves 4:
232 calories, 20.1g carbs, 8.9g fat and 20.7g protein
- 3/4 lb ground bison
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cooked farro or barley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- Preheat oven to 400*F. In a large skillet, cook bison, onion and carrot on medium high heat for abuot 5 minutes or until the meat is brown, using a spatula to stir and crumble the oil, meat into pieces. Drain off any fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, mustard, coconut aminos, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat an simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in farro and cilantro.
- Slice tops from bell peppers, discard seeds. Place bell peppers in a square baking dish. Spoon filling inside, place bell pepper tops over filling. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes or until bell peppers are crisp-tender and filling is hot.
Tip: For a thicker filling, sir in 2 tbsp tomato paste with the tomatoes. For a spicier filling, add a finely chopped jalapeno pepper or two to the meat.