This is a very simple, delicious and hearty soup that is good year round whether the outside temperature is hot or cold.
This recipe feeds 6:
180 calories, 18.1 g net carbs, 4.4g fat, 14g protein and 9.6g fiber
Additional calories will count if you top this with either full fat plain greek yogurt or sour cream.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans reduced sodium black beans drained
- 1 32 ounce carton unsalted chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium, fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Plain yogurt or sour cream, sliced green oions, and lime wede to top with (optional)
- In a small bowl mash one can of beans until nearly smooth.
- In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine the mashed beans, whole beans, broth, tomatoes, ham hock, onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, orange juice, garlic, vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove ham hock, remove meat from bone and return meat to soup.
- Top with optional toppings if desired and enjoy!