At David’s Way, we love to eat as much as we love to lose weight, or to maintain our bodies at a healthy level of body fat. Yes, we concentrate more on body fat percentage than we do a number on the scale, afterall, a low body weight means zilch if you are still skinny fat. Having a low body weight while also having too high a body fat percentage is still harmful to your health, made even more so as light people just assume they are healthier than the obese. This assumption is foolish and will cause you health problems later down the road if it has not already.
We love to create recipes and also to modify recipes to make them healthy. Once we know they are good, we then share them with you, our wonderfu readers. This low carb Taco Bake recipe is one I adapted from our low carb enchilada recipe. The beauty of any recipe is you can always modify any of them for an entire new creation with a few common ingredients and a touch of imagination. I hope you all enjoy this one.
This recipe serves 6 to 8, nutrition will be for 6.
560 calories, 3.7g carbs, 42.9g fat and 41.7g protein
Of course added personal toppings are going to affect these numbers.
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb lean hamburger (85/15)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup taco sauce (anything with no added sugar)
- 1 1/2 cup Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- lettuce, peppers, sour cream, guacamole or what ever toppings you might want to add
- Preheat oven to 350*f
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, cream cheese, heavy cream, and spices and mix until well blended.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend and 1 cup mozzarella cheese evenly over the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Pour the egg, cream cheese and spice mixture over the top and bake for 30 minutes or until it is slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown the ground beef, then add the taco seasoning, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup of taco sauce. Let simmer until sauce has reduced some.
- Once the crust is done and removed from the oven, spread the ground beef and sauce mixture over the crust, then add the remaining cheese blend evenly over the top. Replace in the oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is good and melted.
- Before cutting, let stand for about 5 minutes after removing from the oven. Cut into 6 or 8 portions and plate with any toppings you would normally enjoy on tacos, and then enjoy.
If you can find Spanish Gardens Taco Sauce, I highly recommend it as there are no added sugars and it has a delicious flavor to it. It is one of my favorites and manufactured locally in my community.