This delicious turkey chili recipe is quite simple to prepare, yet tastes like it might have been crafted by a gourmet cook. You can mix and match the flavors of this chili by using black beans instead of pinto beans or ground beef, or even ground pork instead of ground turkey. That is the beauty of cooking, with a little imagination you can make any recipe truly one of your own.
This recipe serves 10
21g total carbs, 5.2g dietary fiber for 15.8 net grams of carbs
- 2 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, undrained
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cans (4.5 oz each) diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook ground turkey in a skillet over medium high heat, stirring frequently until no longer pink. Drain.
- Mix turkey, onions, bell pepper, tomatoes, beans, garlic, broth and chile peppers in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add in remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low heat 7 to 8 hours, or until chili is thickened and bubbling. Chili will hold on low heat setting for up to 4 hours. If chili becomes too thick while holding, stir in up to a 1/2 cup hot water to thin.