Here is a delicious Indian recipe that your families will be sure to enjoy. I am using beef for the meat, but you could optionally use ground lamb, or even lentils as a meat substitute if you want to go the vegetarian route. The recipe calls to serve this on a flat Indian bread called Chapatis, but if you do not have access to an Indian grocery store, you can simply use a low carb tortilla such as Ole Extreme Wellness Tortillas. This recipe is going to require a little kitchen work, but is still going to be very easy on the family budget. If you already have the spices on hand, you will be able to prepare this recipe to feed a a family of 6 on about $12 to $14.
This recipe serves 6
24.5g total carbs, 6.6g fiber, for 17.9g net carbs
- 2 large onions
- 2 medium potatoes, pared
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 long thin green chili peppers, seeded
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb 95% lean ground beef (ground lamb or lentils as an option)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp grated, fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Cut onions, potatoes, and tomato into small cubes. Cut chilies lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips.
- Cook and stir onions in oil in a dutch oven over medium heat until golden, about 15 minutes. Add potatoes and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add meat, cook and stir over medium heat, breaking meat into small pieces, until it is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, turmeric, ginger, salt, cardamon, and cinnamon to pan; saute over medium heat 30 seconds. Quickly stir in 1/2 cup water; simmer, covered over low heat 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomato, chilies, peas and corriander; mix well. Simmer, covered, over low heat 10 minutes. Stir in remaining water if mixture becomes too thick. Serve with chapatis or Extreme Wellness Tortillas.
One Comment Add yours
Oh this just sounds wonderful! I can’t wait to try it. 😋