Game meats, such as carribou or venison, are also a great alternative to the beef, being as they are incredibly lean and packed with essential ingredients such as iron and zinc. This recipe is a good one to prepare and enjoy as a post work out meal.
This recipe serves 4
47.8g total carbs, 11.5g fiber, 36.3g net carbs
Marinade for steak
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 sirloin steaks, 4 ounces each (of course you can use any size you desire)
- 1 1/2 cups dry black beans
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- olive oil spray
- 8 spears asparagus
- 1 ounce bourbon whiskey
- To marinade the steak: Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Put the steaks in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade, Squeeze out the excess air and seal the bag. MArinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, turning the steaks occasionally to ensure even marination.
- Meanwhile, to make the salad: Soak the beans over night in water. The next day, drain the beans and transfer to a sauce pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until al dente. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Add the bell pepper, scallions, chile, oil and cayenne. Stir to mix. Cover and set aside.
- Heat a grill or frying pan. Coat with oil spray. Cook the asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Cook on the grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness. A thermometer inserted in the center of the steak registers 145* for medium rare, 160* for medium, and 165* for well done.
- Put the reserved marinade in a sauce pan and add the bourbon. Heat gently and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- To serve, spoon a little of the sauce over the steaks and serve with the salad and grilled asparagus.