This is an old Martha Stewart recipe that my my family has enjoyed in the past. I remember turning up my nose to the thought of anything cooked with 20 cloves of garlic, but the flavor really mellowed and sweetened. Baked of boiled new potatoes are great with this chicken as a side as well as asparagus, or a combination of the two. Use your imagination and enjoy this delicious high protein, low carb recipe. I like it served over romaine lettuce best.
- 8 whole chicken legs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- Preheat a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker; preheat oven to broil.
- Place chicken skin side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub oil into skin and season generously with salt and pepper. Broil until skin is brown in places.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker. Add garlic, lemons and thyme. Cover and cook on high until meat is tender and cooked through, about 2 1/2 hours. Or you can cook on low for 5 hours.
Note: The sweetness of the garlic cloves are a great addition when you mash them into the new potatoes.