Besides being a AFPA certified Nutrition and Wellness consultant and author, I am also a trucker who transports and delivers construction and industrial supplies to pay my bills. I often hear people who are on the road a lot say they cannot eat healthy, which is something I find to be simply a load of baloney, lame excuses if you will. With a little pre-planning it is always possible to eat healthy while on the go. You just have to be willing to put in a little effort. This simple, inexpensive recipe is a part of my food that I consume on a regular basis while I’m out on the road in my semi. It keeps good and warm in an insulated food container that can be purchased inexpensively at any Walmart.
“Meaty” Vegetarian Pinto Beans
12g dietary fiber for 24 net carbs
- 1 – 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Boca Crumbles (vegetarian ground beef substitute)
- 3 tbsp Sugar Free Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Salsa
- Chili Lime seasoning to taste
- (optional) habanero hot sauce or hot sauce of your choosing
- Drain and rinse the canned pinto beans to lower the sodium content.
- Mix all ingredients into a sauce pan and bring to a good simmer over medium heat.
- Serve into bowls and enjoy this simple, inexpensive, healthy and delicious recipe. Put into a insulated food container if taking on the road to enjoy at a later time.
At David’s Way, all of our recipes can be enjoyed on a budget. We do not want people falling for the myth that it is too expensive in order to eat healthy either at home or away. This meal costs less than $3.00 US to prepare and can feed 2 people a good healthy and nutritionally sound meal.