Just stop with blaming your genetics for your obesity. Of course genetics can, and do play a role in your metabolism and weight, but your problem is more so one of environment. You might honestly believe that since you come from a fat family that you cannot help your obesity, but this is simply not the case. Just because you have a family history of obesity and health problems, it does not mean your genes have doomed you.
Virtually every chronic disease is polygenic. That means that there are multiple genes which are in play when it comes to your health risks. Your genetics account for about 50% or less when it comes to your risk of obesity and poor health. When it comes to the genetic roll of the dice, you might just be a winner within a family of losers. You simply cannot just throw up your hands in defeat and blame your genetics for your obesity.
When it comes to obesity, there are thirty-nine genes that determine risk. However, only two have any real clinical import, and these are only found in about 16 percent of the population of obese people. If you had every other obesity risk gene, these will only have about a 22 pound impact on your weight. When we look at people that surround us, we can clearly see that we have a larger problem than just 22 pounds. Our society has a problem of obesity that has become a problem of up to 100 pounds and more. We need to quit blaming genetics for this and begin looking at the real problem causing our weight problems. The problem is largely the result of the environments we grow up in.
The Environmental Problem
Genetics actually play only about a 15 percent role in our risk for obesity and chronic disease. The other 85 percent of our risks come from our personal environments. What this means is, there is plenty we can do to take control of our lives in order to prevent obesity and diseases such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease, dementia, and virtually every other chronic disease. Your mother, and her mother may have been type 2 diabetics, but this does not mean you are doomed to the same fate. It is an 85 percent chance their diabetes came from their home environment instead. This is because they ate the same poor food choices that they introduced you too as well. This is not genes at play!
And when did you become introduced to poor nutritional choices?
You were introduced to these nutritional choices while you were still in your mothers womb. The foods your mother was eating while your fetus was gestating had an effect on your future much more than your genetics. Your mothers nutritional habits had an effect on your DNA called epigenetics. If she was eating poorly and was obese during her pregnancy, this placed you at the same risks as her. Conversely, if she had practiced good nutrition and was at a healthy weight, then you would also be more prone to the same. Your genetics might play a small role, but it is more so your mother’s behaviors that you were exposed to that determined your risks. You cannot alter your propensity for obesity and chronic disease. But once you know the problem, you can alter the outcomes for yourself and your children. Quit blaming your genetics.
Knowledge is The Key!
There are many weight loss businesses that will take your money while claiming to help you lose weight. The problem is not only that they are unaffordable for some, they also do not teach you much about nutrition. If you lack nutritional knowledge, you are not likely to ever be successful at losing weight and then keeping it off. When you apply good knowledge to your nutritional habits, you will be successful, no matter your genetics. It is also not enough to just become knowledgeable, you need to teach your children about good nutritional practices too.
David’s Way to Health and Fitness is a Free Resource!
It has been my pledge from day one to always be a free resource to our readers and followers. We believe that everyone has the right to be healthy regardless of their financial status. Everything here on the website is free. You should never have to pay for the simple truth about how to lose weight. It’s not rocket science. While many entities make a lot of money dispensing information concerning weight loss, the way to lose weight is so simple that we believe that it’s an unalienable right to have free access to these basic truths. The truth should not be available only to those who can afford it. We’re here to help you manage your weight and live a healthy and full life through good nutritional practices and physical fitness. ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR MEDICAL DOCTOR BEFORE BEGINNING ANY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. We do not offer any medical advice or treatment of any kind. We DO NOT offer any advice concerning medical diets.
For more of David’s Way to Health and Fitness, check us out on Facebook. Simply click on this link where you will find Fit and Healthy Living with David’s Way.
Check out this great article by Brenda Sue! Genetics and Habits in Obesity