What in the world is Mock spaghetti? Well, obviously it is not spaghetti which is really just a vehicle that carries the delicious sauce to our belly’s.
I am not normally a fan of cooked cabbage, but my beautiful wife Loraine discovered that if you chopped cabbage, cooked and drained it, and then added it to her homemade sauce, the cabbage did not impart too much flavor as, it was just a part of the flavor profile as a whole. It also has a soft texture to it just like spaghetti. This recipe might just be the perfect way to add cabbage to your picky eaters diet, and have them enjoy it. This meal is also perfect for the diabetic in your life as it contains zero added sugar and is low in carbs.
This recipe makes 8 servings:
Calories: 208 Carbs: 16.2 grams total 10.9 grams net Fiber: 5.3 grams Fat: 9.3 grams Protein: 15 grams
- 1 pound 93/3 ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1.75 cup (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- basil and oregano to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Chop the cabbage, place in a large microwave safe bowl and cook until done. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion in olive oil with crushed garlic until the onion is soft and then add in ground beef. Cook until beef is done, and then drain.
- Add in remaining ingredients, including the cabbage and let simmer for a half hour before serving.
This dish is as simple as it is delicious and healthy. Let us know how you like it!