Woman’s World obviously believes you are dumb by printing a cover page and story that says you can lose eighty three pounds by Memorial Day. Maybe you can and will lose that much weight by next Memorial Day, but certainly not by this coming one which is only eleven weeks away from today.
In order to lose eighty three pounds in eleven weeks, you would have to lose 7.55 pounds per week – or in other words you will have to lose 1.1 pound per day.
Even if you could manage to accomplish this feat of tall order, you had best be under the care of a physician as this kind of weight loss for most people is not healthy in any kind of way.
At David’s Way to Health and Fitness, we do not believe that you are dumb, but we will acknowledge that you may be desperate to lose weight fast. While it’s tempting to try and lose weight fast, we do not recommended it.
Most diets which promote rapid weight loss are often nothing more than fads, or gimmicks. They are almost always very low in calories and nutrients which will bring about rapid weight loss. However, they are also quite likely to put you at risk of many health problems – especially if you follow a rapid weight loss diet for too many weeks.
Health Risks of Rapid Weight Loss
Losing weight too fast comes with many health risks. These risks include the loss of lean muscle mass, decreased metabolism, nutritional deficiencies, gallstones and other side effects. With these health risks, it should be illegal for greedy businesses to push these ideas onto desperate or gullible people. They know there are risks, and they believe you are dumb enough to buy their magazine to find out how anyway.
We at David’s Way know too well how it feels when you have tried everything under the sun to lose weight and can not find success. If you are overweight, we have been in your shoes to know what it is like for you. We do not believe you are dumb as some of these publishers do. We know and understand your problem.
- You are going to lose muscle when you lose too fast. Instead of concentrating on weight loss, we want you to concentrate on losing body fat instead. Very low-calorie diets can help you lose weight fast. However, a good bit of the weight you lose will come from your lean muscle mass and water. (1)(2)
- Losing weight too fast is likely to slow down your metabolism. Slowing your metabolism down is the last thing you want to do if you are wanting to shed body fat. Your metabolism is what determines how many calories in a day you need to lose, maintain, or to even gain weight for some people. Studies have found that losing weight fast by eating fewer calories may cause you to burn up to 23% fewer calories per day than if you were more patient with your weight loss by losing it slower. There are two reasons why your metabolism will drop on a very low-calorie diet. They are a loss of muscle and a fall in hormones that regulate your metabolism, such as thyroid hormone. Unfortunately, this drop in metabolism is quite likely to last long after you have given up on dieting. At David’s Way, we only recommend that you lose no more than one or two pounds per week at the most.(3)(4)(5)
- You place yourself into the risk of nutritional deficiencies when you go on very low calorie diets. When you limit you caloric intake too much, you also are limiting the variety of your foods. It’s difficult for most people to consume enough important nutrients like iron, folate and vitamin B12 when they go on a low-calorie diet.
- When you consume too few calories, your body might not get enough nutrients to support hair growth, which may cause hair loss.(6)
- On very low calorie diets you may not get enough iron, vitamin B12 and folate, which puts you at risk of extreme fatigue and anemia.(7)
- When your diet does not allow you to consume enough calories and nutrients, it can weaken your immune system and and place you at a higher risk of infections.(8)
- Low calorie diets can cause weak and brittle bones which is caused by a lack of vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus in the diet.(9)
- Gallstones can be a painful side effect of losing weight too fast. When you are on a very low calorie diet, your gallbladder won’t have to release the digestive juices which break down fatty food so they can be digested. When gallstones form, they can get stuck inside the opening of your gallbladder which will cause a gallstone attack. If this condition occurs, your are going to experience severe pain and indigestion. Blocked bile ducts can be life threatening and fatal.(10)
No, you are not dumb as Woman’s World might think you to be. We at David’s Way certainly do not believe you are dumb. We would never insult your intelligence as these unscrupulous rags will – we think better of you and are concerned for your health. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, aim to lose it at a slow but steady rate of 1–2 pounds per week, give our method a try. It is and always will be free to you. We promote a slow, steady weight loss as a change of lifestyle which makes it easier to maintain long-term. Our methodology is better than others simply because it is designed to getting you to develop healthy eating behaviors, and is much safer than very fast weight loss. You can find our simple and 100% free plan by clicking on this link which will take you straight to it.
For more of David’s Way to Health and Fitness, check us out on Facebook at Fit and Healthy Living with David’s Way. Give us a like and a follow.
Subscriptions to get our latest articles straight to your email are also free and easy as well.
Additionally, if you enjoy what you find at David’s Way to Health and Fitness, you can help us to keep our website free to all by making a donation at the PayPal tab which can be found below in the footer.
(2)NIH National Library of Medicine
(3)NIH National Library of Medicine
(4)NIH National Library of Medicine
(5)NIH National Library of Medicine
(6)U.S. National Library of Medicine
(7)NIH National Library of Medicine
(8)Oxford Academic, Clinical Infectious Diseases
(9)Bone Health and Osteoporosis: A Report of the Surgeon General
(10)NIH National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
One Comment Add yours
I truly think these ads are targeted towards people who are either less than intelligent or simply desperate to lose weight.