Newbie diet mistakes are a huge reason why those attempting to lose weight fail miserably in their attempts. Unless you already have a good working knowledge of nutrition and fitness, it is imperative that you begin working on getting it as you also will become one of the 95% of dieters who fail also. Losing weight in a healthy manner is not rocket science, but it does require the application of a little bit of practical knowledge. People fail because they often do not know what it is they do not know. One cannot simply decide one day to “watch” what they eat and also go at a new exercise regimen like gangbusters. It just doesn’t work that way no matter what some fitness influencers might have you believe.
Is obesity really that bad?
You bet your bottom dollar obesity is bad for your body, and I am not referring to how you look. You can still be a beautiful person and obese. The work we do at David’s Way is solely about your health and NOT about how you look. But I digress…
The fat in your body is no different than the fat you have ever seen in a cut of meat or chicken, When you have an over-abundance of this fat you can see the effects by double chins, rotund bellies and pudgy hands among just a few descriptors. You may feel comfortable with it right now, but it is going to cause you health problems in the future. Therefore, it is incumbent upon you to begin working on this problem right now, and not in the future. You may not have a future, here is why.
Diet Mistake #1
You Make Excuses
You may believe these following excuses are legitimate, and not cop outs, but that belief is not rooted in science.
- You believe your weight problem is your thyroid or your glands which give you a hormonal imbalance.
- The truth is, these issues can lead to obesity, but only about 3% of people truly suffer these problems which can be controlled. If you believe that you have a hormonal problem, you need to see an endocrinologist.
- Ladies, you cannot blame obesity on your period.
- Sure, you will gain weight before you begin your menstrual cycle, but it is only water weight which will come back off as rapidly as it came on. Obesity is a result of eating too many calories, not your bodily functions. In the not so distant past, most women were thin year round, even when they had their periods.
- Being an endomorph runs in my family, so it is only natural that I am fat.
- Yes, being an endomorph is hereditary, and you will have a fuller body. However, this can still be controlled and is not why you are too heavy. The reason you are too heavy is that you eat too much.
- My metabolism changed after having my baby.
- Everybody wants to blame a slow metabolism, but that is a cop out. When you legitimately have a slower metabolism, your weight can still be controlled with proper nutrition and by not over-eating. The truth is, your metabolism is a function of your thyroid, and it is unlikely that you actually have a thyroid problem. If you believe that you do have a thyroid problem, go see an endocrinologist. The birth of a baby does cause a change in lifestyle, therefore you have to make adjustments to your schedules.
- I am older now and it is not important for me to have a bikini body.
- You may not care about wearing a bikini anymore, but no matter how old you are, you still need to care about having a healthy body. Just because you might be older, it is not an excuse to not have a healthy body at a healthy weight.
- I have too many social and/or business functions that involve going out to eat.
- You can still have a social life without allowing it to get you fat. You have to make a conscious effort to pick the healthiest menu options and not over-eat. You can always get a to go bag.
- Healthy foods are too expensive.
- No, what is too expensive is visits to your doctor for illnesses that could have been prevented if you had only ate better and exercised.
Diet Mistake #2
You can’t take short-cuts.
You think you can take short cuts to weight loss. A diet mistake of many is that they want fast weight loss, therefore they go on fad diets hoping to lose weight. However, fad diets often encourage deprivation and the demonization of foods, which may lead to nutrient deficiencies and disordered eating habits. They focus on quick results – and almost always on weight loss. The problem is instead of weight loss, you need to focus on losing body fat while not losing lean muscle mass. Fad diets are money makers, so companies make promises to bring in the big bucks. People are often duped into buying the latest “weight-loss” product or book only to spend even more money trying the next fad.
Instead of making the diet mistake of throwing your money away on supplements, books, and products that don’t work, invest in your health by making small, sustainable changes.
Diet Mistake #3
You sign up to unscrupulous corporate weight loss groups that value your money over your health.
For many, our obesity problem is a source of cash. And to get that cash, some companies are willing to stretch the truth of what their products and services will do.
Here is a little something to think about – some of the biggest players in the weight loss industry have accused each other of deception. In 2010, Weight Watchers (the largest provider of weight loss services in the U.S., with more than 43% market share) sued Jenny Craig in U.S. District Court in New York over its ads that said that “Jenny Craig clients lost, on average, over twice as much weight as those on the largest weight-loss program.” Weight Watchers claimed that no major clinical trial was done that proved this statement and that those assertions were false and misleading. The two companies reached a settlement: Jenny Craig, though it admitted no wrongdoing, agreed to never again publish, broadcast or disseminate the ad in any form. In a statement issued at the time, Jenny Craig said, “We challenge Weight Watchers to compete directly with us in a head-to-head clinical trial.” None of these corporate entities appear to truly have your best interest in mind. What they do have in mind is your money. Most of these businesses operate in a similar manner as others that do the same. They count on your diet mistakes to keep them in business.
Diet Mistake #4
You do not understand nutrition and it’s importance to you.
It has been eye opening the number of people we have helped here at David’s Way who have little to no knowledge in regards to proper nutrition. To win any battle, you have to attack it with planning. You have to know exactly what you are going to do before ever beginning, otherwise you are doomed to failure. You cannot just say I am going to lose weight and expect success if you do not know what you are doing, and why you are doing it. For this reason, Brenda Sue and myself dedicated thousands of hours doing the research to bring you most of the knowledge you will ever need for healthy weight loss – and we do this free of charge to all!
Too many of our eating habits begin during our early childhood. We grow up liking, or disliking the same foods that our family and friends either like or dislike. Too many children are growing up today not knowing how to eat nutritional foods and are also becoming obese.
We learn to eat by watching our parents. If Mom eats bon bons in bed from morning until night, you are going to grow up believing this unhealthy eating habit is actually normal. Therefore, you are likely to have picked up your parents bad habits before you could even form any of your own. If your parents had unhealthy eating habits and were over-weight, the odds are you will be exactly like them. But it does not have to be that way.
You may believe with all your heart that you inherited their fat, but you didn’t. What you inherited is their poor habits that resulted in your weight problem. Most people are not heavy because of their genetics, they are heavy simply because of their habits derived from early childhood exposure.
You can buy our new E-Book to help with your weight loss needs by visiting our David’s Way Book Sales menu tab. For the low cost of $4.99 US, you can get your copy of Healthy Weight Loss with David’s Way to Health and Fitness, where you will find our weight loss philosophy, nutrition and health information, the history of dieting going back to the 1800’s and a good sampling of our healthy recipes! This is a great bargain my friends, and the proceeds help to keep our website free to all.